Saturday, February 27, 2010

Can i use methylated spirits to mix oil paint?

Can anyone help please , i just bought oil paint and i know i usually use a gum turps/linseed oil at college to mix oil paint...or make it usuable [ya know what u mean?] but i dont have any i only have Turps , is this okay? Need answers noooow ppleeeassse


Thanks thanks thanksCan i use methylated spirits to mix oil paint?
No. I had to look up what methylated spirits were and what I've found is that it is similar or the same as denatured alcohol. This is not used to thin oil paint. Don't use it.Can i use methylated spirits to mix oil paint?
sure you can, if you want to destroy the paint and your brushes!
First off, I do not know. But as a Ph.D. chemist, I suggest that methylated spirits (wood alcohol, methyl alcohol, methanol) will not be compatible, will not be miscible with the oils and resins that form your paints. Some liquid phase will ';sweat out'; of the paint. You say you have turps. I'm surprised you cannot find linseed oil. Other unsaturated oils may do. Consult with others about soybean oil.
yes,you can do that but, I recommend you turpentine.
  • hair bands
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment