Saturday, February 27, 2010

What is a good brand of oil paint for a beginner?

i was just wondering what brand of oil paint would be best for a beginner. i dont want to just get the cheapest out there but i dont want to spend an arm and a leg.





i want a brand that would give me the best resultsWhat is a good brand of oil paint for a beginner?
I started to paint with Winton oils, from winsor and newton. They are not expensive and are made of good quality pigments and lineseed oil.





Later it is also easier to move to artist grade oils by w%26amp;n, as you will alreday be familiar with some of the colours. There's a great difference, you will notice it immediately. I went by adding first the cheapest colours (earths, black, white) and later I saved to buy the cadmiums and cobalts.





If you do not have a pallete already I would recomend this basic colours:





Titanium white- opaque


or Zinc white- semi-transparent





Ivory black





raw sienna


burnt sienna


raw umber


burnt umber





Cadmium yellow


Cadmium red


Ultramarine blue





Extra colors:


Naples Yellow (nice for blending)


Alizarin Crimson. warms your reds and pinks


Paynes Gray. A very nice colour for shades (it's a bluish gray)


Sap Green.


Cadmium yellow lemon








Oh, and if you were already working with acrylics you can add a little Liquin to your oils, so they can dry a bit more quickly.








Hope that works for you.





Good luck





C茅sarWhat is a good brand of oil paint for a beginner?
I started with Liquitex, but I really prefer Golden brand paints, both acrylic and oil.


They're very good quality, and not too terribly expensive. (Not cheap, either)
I use the brand Georgian, they come in big tubes and cost about $10 and I like their fluidity and the way they flow.
start with acryllic. its more forgiving.
try windsor %26amp; newton (students) or lb ( lefranc %26amp; bourgois) It will give you freshness and vivid clours
Hi best of luck to you beginning your art! When I got started the teacher gave us a list of what to buy. The local junior college had a bookstore that sold it to us with a discount for being a student...If you are a art student check in your city for stores that might do the same for you. But if not..you can get good paints at Michaels craft store or Joann's fabric shop. When I started out I ordered all my paints from www.danielsmith.com I was not disappointed. They had prices for everyone's wallet. Their own brands Daniel Smiths are great. Oils, acrylics, watercolors all kinds of art supplies call them for one of their catelogs..best of luck ...
Use Winton Oil Colors, the student grade. Don't buy a starter set. Just get red, blue, yellow, black and a large tube of white. You can make any color you want with these colors. This is what I started with and it worked for me. Also starting with only a few colors helps you understand color and what it takes to get color mixing just right. Hobby Lobby is a good place to get paint when it is on sale.
Use GRUMBACHER.
when i got my first oil paints, i bought Reeves because they are cheap but they are good on quality and you can buy them in a set. I also like Winsor-Newton, but those are a bit more expensive. as far as brushes go, i use the Loew -Cornell white nylon brushes, but that's just preference and probably what's good for acrylics are good for oil...

No comments:

Post a Comment