Thursday, February 25, 2010

How can I remove oil-based paint splatters from my hardwood floor?

I was primering my bathroom walls and got spots on my hardwood flooring and I need some suggestions on removing them. I've tried alcohol and ';goop'; with no luck.How can I remove oil-based paint splatters from my hardwood floor?
It depends on what your hardwood floor's finish is.


If it is older, it's likely to be varnish. In that case don't use turpensol or paint thinner, you'll have to physically scrape it off or risk dissolving the finish underneath. You can also try softening it first with hot soapy water, though this won't dissolve the paint.





If it's a fairly new floor, it's likely to be a polyurethane varnish. You can likely use turpensol or paint thinner, but I'd test the solvent on an out-of-the-way corner first.How can I remove oil-based paint splatters from my hardwood floor?
take a clean white rag and dab a little mineral spirits on it,then lightly buff the areas of the paint splatters. the mineral spirits will cut the oil base. don't over soak the wood or you could remove you finish.
If your floors are old and really rough or not finished...it's going to be tough...if not impossible. If they have a good finish on them...the new paint sure come right off with paint thinner. Even an old varnish finish will hold up to paint thinner if you use it. Just rub a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment