Saturday, February 27, 2010

How can I remove oil-based paint from my brown leather bomber jacket without screwing it up?

Leaned against something with wet paint and got oil-based paint on my favorite jacket. It was dried before I saw it and now I'm wondering if it is on there for good. I don't want to mess it up more...How can I remove oil-based paint from my brown leather bomber jacket without screwing it up?
rubbing alcohol and water (equal parts each) will remove mildew stains from leather





and





hair spay will remove ink from leather





one of these may take paint off.





wd40 is pretty good for removing paint stains too... but i fear it will leave a greasy stain on the jacket





I do know that you can remove greasy stains from a bomber jacket with baby powder.... blot the extra grease off, powder the spot liberally, and let it sit on there over night, at least 5 hours.How can I remove oil-based paint from my brown leather bomber jacket without screwing it up?
Test for color fastness in an inconspicuous place as some ';bomber jacket'; finishes dont like solvents at all. If it is fine I would first try Odorless Mineral spirits- this has worked many times for me when I have been called in to repair a sofa when painters got overspray or drips on the leather furniture. If it doesnt work my next choice would be Naptha (zippo lighter fluid is basically naptha) it has been successful in getting all manner of things off leather.


The next choice would be denatured alcohol- but it has much more chance of pulling color, though carefully done I have removed many ink marks with about 75% of the time not having to match and re-color the finish.


All of these I would use with an old white t-shirt wrapped around my hand.


Hope this helps


David
Get Goo Gone, it comes in a little can. You have to be really careful...dip a cotton swab into the Goo Gone and gently rub on the spot until it starts to lift. Periodically, dab with a dry terry cloth or towel to get excess Goo Gone off the material and to remove the paint. Keep doing this until the spot is gone. When you are finished, use a lotion based leather cleaner to remove the excess Goo Gone from the jacket. I did this myself and it worked...and the paint had been on my jacket for two years!
Try to put it in the freezer and chip it off.
I would take it to the cleaners.

No comments:

Post a Comment