Thursday, February 25, 2010

I am okay at drawing but i want to learn to oil paint?

I am good at art drawing but i want to expand my talent that i have i would like to learn how to oil paint


before i do i would like to know is it a hard simple or easy thing to take up doing what type of equipment do i need obviously paint brush and paints but maybe there is something else that i might needI am okay at drawing but i want to learn to oil paint?
Everything that you would use when painting with acrylic you will need for oil painting (brushes (i like the synthetic white ones with the gel grips) , a palette, a handy towel, etc.) With oil painting you will need linseed oil and turpentine. Oil to use while painting, and turpentine to clean your brushes and anything else you get paint on. It's a little difficult but it's easier than acrylic painting in my opinion. It takes a very long time to dry, usually about a week, and for this reason it may be easier to blend, but a pain when you want to paint over something. It's really something that you have to just start doing in order to form an opinion about it.I am okay at drawing but i want to learn to oil paint?
If you are skilled at drawing, there shouldn't be much of a transition. Painting has values just like drawing it just also adds hues. For me, I learned how to paint and draw at the same time. The first thing I painted was oil paint. I grew very frustrated and switched to acrylic. I kept switching between the two before I finally started to realize I was actually getting better. Painting is a lot like drawing though, I don't think you'll struggle with it. And as far as supplies, brushes are definitely very important. Try to get a good quality. I went to the library and got every book on painting. I never took a class and I think I'm teaching myself fairly well. Oil is a fun and expressive medium. Good luck!
Oil painting is difficult. I would sugguest trying to get into a class that specifically teaches you how to use oil paint. It takes a while to dry and it doesn't blend in the same way as acrylic. As far as materials goes, there are a variety of tools you can have but may or may not use. A palette is always good. Different shaped brushes are good...obviously paint. But like I said, take a class. That's the only realy way you can learn how to work with the medium.
if you aren't a regular painter i think you should start practicing with acrylic paint then work your way up to oil. Oil paint takes a very very long time to dry but it produces really nice work. very easy to blend too
That is exactly what I did.


I have been drawing almost my entire life but only started oil painting about three and a half years ago.


Unless you are incredibly disciplined and particularly adept at transferring book learning into action, I strongly recommend finding a course with a qualified teacher. Luckily the city in which I live has an established art academy and professors who are working artists.


The first classes were monochromatic still lifes -- plaster forms (cube, rectangle, cylinder, sphere) -- very much like drawing with charcoal or graphite, only in oils. We painted on gessoed paper. (Incidentally, John Constable has a magnificent yet tiny oil painting on paper of an oak tree; it's nearly 200 years old!)


Further still lifes -- bottles; a collection of kitchen objects; fruit; flowers...brought color, and this is where an experienced teacher is a Godsend. By the end of the first year we were doing self-portraits (looking into individual mirrors).


If you go to an art class, there should be easels and drawing boards on hand. You'll have to provide prepared paper or canvas, a palette (a piece of masonite or melanite from the hardware store works great), a palette knife (handy for moving and mixing colors), brushes, cleaning and thinning medium (white spirit works fine and is much healthier than turpentine) and paints. At our academy students can make a group order at the beginning of the academic year which means we get the best quality paint and good brushes for a fraction of the cost (40 percent off!). In the spring we do the same for canvases, stretched or on a roll with stretchers separate.


Oil painting is expensive, even with student discounts! But you do get what you pay for: don't go for cheap paints; they're usually crap. Brushes can also be costly but you can make do with a handful (numbers 6, 8, 10/12 and I use a small ';house painting'; brush to cover large surfaces), all natural bristles.


Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment