Thursday, February 25, 2010

If you want to frame a picture done in Oil Pastels on paper, also, Oil Paint on paper, do you use glass?

I have a couple of oil pastel pictures I have done myself, and a picture painted by my grand mother I would like to frame and display, all done on paper. I can do the framing myself, but I know you don't put glass on an oil painting on canvas, I was wondering if the same applies to oils on paper?If you want to frame a picture done in Oil Pastels on paper, also, Oil Paint on paper, do you use glass?
You can frame oil paintings on stretched canvas behind glass. Some museums do this when the work is particularly fragile. Glare makes these frames undesirable for patrons but it is a worthwhile compromise to losing the work entirely. Within your home you can do whatever you want. It isn't going to pose a risk to the art. Being on paper you should mount these pictures behind glass.If you want to frame a picture done in Oil Pastels on paper, also, Oil Paint on paper, do you use glass?
You can use glass but the artwork should not be placed directly against the glass. An Archival acid free matting can be used to give a space between the glass and artwork. Furthermore, for conservation purposes you may use UV or Conservation Glass.
Be sure U mat them so that the actual surface of the art work does not touch the glass. There needs to be a small space between them for expansion and contraction as moisture content changes within a room. However minor that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment