Thursday, February 25, 2010

Will my oil painting crack if I have a layer of oil paint, then charcoal, then fixative, then oil paint?

I know things like acrylic paint shouldn't go on top of oil. Is charcoal and fixative and more oil paint ok?Will my oil painting crack if I have a layer of oil paint, then charcoal, then fixative, then oil paint?
In oil painting it is important to follow the 'lean to fat' rule. Cracking in painting occurs when a lean layer is placed over a fat one. The fat one being underneath takes longer to dry. When it does eventually dry, it cracks the leaner layer on top.





I don't think that charcoal and fixative have any effect on a upper paint layer cracking. Go ahead and experiment.





Nick Will my oil painting crack if I have a layer of oil paint, then charcoal, then fixative, then oil paint?
no never mix them like that

No comments:

Post a Comment