Thursday, February 25, 2010

Can you paint acrylics over oil paint?

I have an oil painting I did that I hate and want to fix, but find the acrylic paints more colorful and easy to use. Can I paint over or add to the oil painting using acrylic paint?


Will anything bad happen to it if I do? Will it crack over time?


Any suggestions would be appriciated! ThanksCan you paint acrylics over oil paint?
hello


you can paint oil over acrylic with no problem, but i dont know the other way around.You can totally paint over it,if you want to use a different medium, as long you cover with some 4 or 5 layers of white gesso first, sanding it after each layer


what you hate about the painting? if you wish, you can send me a picture of it, and maybe i can convince you not to change it.Can you paint acrylics over oil paint?
I would put gesso over it, I duno about sanding it, it just makes it alot neater, but I like alot of texture. Or I would just try it on a different blank canvas, just try expermenting.

Report Abuse



no waterbased paint won't stick to oil
YOU CAN BUT IT WOULD LOOK LIKE S@#~
I kno you can do the reverse. it's a technic used to speed up the oil painting process, but all oil still looks better. Why not just go over it with oil it would look better and be easier to do. Just spray the painting with some retuoch varnish before you work on any older paintings it loosens up the old paint so you can better paint over the serface with out the paint cracking off, or looking bad when done. ;}
I totaly agree with Dick DON'T DO IT
the oil will eventually crack and then the acrylic will fall off.
You should never paint acrylic over oil paint. Oil paint can take up to a year to fully dry where-as Acrylic paint dries in a matter of hours. Oil does not make a stable base for acrylic paint.


However you can paint oils over acrylic quite sucessfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment