Thursday, February 25, 2010

Painters: do you mind getting your hands covered in oil paint on a daily basis?

How do you deal with it? Do you like the way it feels?Painters: do you mind getting your hands covered in oil paint on a daily basis?
I don't mind it, as such, except that turpentine...which I often use to thin paints...acts much like DMSO, and makes it possible for any heavy metals in the paint (such as manganese, barium, cadmium, etc.) to be absorbed directly into the bloodstream.





For this reason, I don't get any paint on my skin if I can possibly help it.Painters: do you mind getting your hands covered in oil paint on a daily basis?
Wow!
The only part about getting paint on my hands that is a nuisance is the chance of that paint getting back on the canvas with an accidental touch. Therefore, I try to avoid it by being meticulous.
The paint should go on the canvas. Unless you are finger painting.
I don't mind the paint being on me as long as I'm painting but as soon as I'm done with a session I wash it all off using a toothbrush to get it out of the crack in my skin and from under my nails.
Some pigments use toxic chemicals and might soak in and be absorbed through the skin. Having to use harsh solvents to clean your hands can't be good either.


You must be a wild painter to be getting paint on your hands.


Why not use surgical gloves?
sometimes i mean who likes getting oily painty hands but if u do nailpoloish remover or gasoline will help to get it off just make sure u dont blow up lol
If your hands aren't dirty you ain't been working. Feels so good to work you may forget to wash them.
am painter .dont use oil base much and when I do use gloves
i don't really mind. it's not that i particularly like the way it feels, just that i'm a rather messy artist.. it boggles my mind to meet people who manage to stay immaculately clean after a painting session or after working with charcoal, inks, etc. i do find it annoying when some of the oil paint stays in the wrinkles of my hands (since i didn't wash them thoroughly enough at first) and it doesn't come off for days. i use gamsol so i'm not particularly worried about any health risks involved with oil painting (since it's mostly the mediums that are dangerous anyways). maybe i'll get less messier as i get older. but i doubt it.
i dunno what oil paints your talking about, but when im painting the interiors of houses i use oil base on the trim an doors an it sucks so much because you have to use mineral spirits to clean up with, an it STINKS SO BAD. even my grandmas oil paints she used to paint pictures with stunk bad, so my opinion is they stink too much to use. i use acrylics, but as art is concerned im a pencil artist
No, that is why I like doing water colour and acrylics.

No comments:

Post a Comment