Thursday, February 18, 2010

What should I use to clean my oil paint brushes?

I am normally a water color painter, but recently was intrigued by oil paint. What should I use to clean my brushes? ( I cant afford the water soluble oil paints)What should I use to clean my oil paint brushes?
Alternate between a good soap (I have Lava) and turpenoid (it's oderless, do not get turpentine, that has a horrible smell). Make sure you clean the brushes and rinse them good, they can get ruined easily.What should I use to clean my oil paint brushes?
Use a cheap oil, such as common vegetable oil or a light weight motor oil (what I use). As the paint is dissolved by the oil, wipe on a paper towel and repeat until the paint is out. Then, with most of the oil wiped off the brush tip, store the brushes standing upright (in a cup or jar). The bit of oil remaining in the brushes will help condition them without making them soft.





You can also remove the vegetable or motor oil immediately with a bit of gentle soap and water. Or, when you are ready to paint again, just swish the oily brush tip in a bit of turpentine, wipe on a paper towel, and you are ready to paint again.





Turpentine and similar products are dangerous to work with. Turpentine can even cause chemical burns to your skin, and will shorten the life of your brushes.





As a rule, I never use anything on my paint brushes that I would be afraid to put on my own hair!





Best of luck in your creative work.
Water soluble oil paints probably aren't worth it to begin with, truthfully. I've found that always using the ';real'; thing is the best idea.





I have always used Gamsol thinner--you can get it in big tin cans. It works as both a paint thinner and a brush cleaner--a very nice thing indeed.





As with all solvents, though you MUST work in a well-ventilated area and make sure that you seal up all containers when you're done working with them. Even if the smell doesn't bother you, the fumes are rather harmful if you don't have good circulation in the room.





I've never gotten a headache from working with Gamsol--then again, I only ever used it in the studio, where there is plenty of space and good ventilation.





Good luck! Oil paints are a very rewarding medium, once you learn how to work with them.
Get some thinner (turpentine) to blot and gently wipe your brushes with after use. I use a little bit of paper towel. Try not to pull the bristles and don't ever scrub them, you'll ruin the brush. Keep the paint out of the ferrule just like you would with your other brushes. Don't leave a brush standing in turpentine bristle down either, it will ruin the brush. I store mine hanging bristle down so that any water left will drip down rather than staying in the ferrule.


You should also be able to get a soap and water cleaner at the art store that will be formulated for them. I use Master's. It can be used for acrylic and water color too. Here's a link for it at dick blick:


http://www.dickblick.com/zz057/02/


You can use a little vaseline on them to help them keep their shape. Wash it out with thinner before use again. If a brush is losing it's shape then you may be able to dip it in mucilage and water and re-shape it, leave it to dry. It won't be great but will turn out a little better than it was. It's much easier to just keep the brushes clean.


Also, just a tip, don't use natural brushes to cross mediums. It will wear your brushes out faster. The synthetic ones are probably ok, they're cheaper anyway. :)
gahh i hate turps


i use something


i think its called pink soap?


its a little pink bottle and has a picture of the mona lisa on it haha


and it doesnt have the smell and its not as harsh as turps :)


I got it at micheals, but I dont know if you have that where ever you live hehe :) You can probably find it at your art store? :)


but its also called a hand cleaner too :) so it wont be bad for you :)!
Turpentine or mineral spirits are what you use to clean oil brushes with. Without the proper ventilation, you will get headaches and get sick. Paint with an open widow and a fan blowing the fumes out.
turps.
You use paint thinner.
terpinoid
  • prom hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment