Sunday, February 7, 2010

How do you remove oil paint from painted wood?

The wood has been primed, the works. It is a desk that is painted white that I do all of my artwork on.How do you remove oil paint from painted wood?
OUCH...





As a professional woodworker turned artist 20 years ago I know the properties of wood and paint. I still work with wood and hopefully this isn’t a nice desk that someone decided to paint… Just can’t stand great wood like walnut or oak with paint… Arrrr…..





Here is a product that pulls even the toughest paint stains out. It may destroy the paint on the desk though. I really doubt it. Since the desk has been painted a long time longer than the stuff on top I’d try Crazy clean. I’ve used it on my workbench. (Which is painted particleboard.)





http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cs…





They use this stuff to remove graffiti on buildings… It even removes permanent marker…. Large can is $5.00








Once you clean this I would suggest getting a piece of ¼” birch plywood and sanding a nice edge and let it overlap by just a little on the front and covering the desk area… Leave it natural if you want or take some Johnson’s paste wax and wax the wood up…How do you remove oil paint from painted wood?
I hope so... When Ya spray the stuff on let is soak a little and sometimes even use a scrubbie pad to work it.. I just use my fingers and mosh the foam around... Good luck.....

Report Abuse



Sand it off, use a Electronic Belt Sander there the easiest otherwise you will be all Day, or if you prefer use a Cork Sanding Block with the sandpaper wrapped around it thats the cheapest you can get this in Hardware or Tool Shop. When you are finished you will have to either Paint or Stain youre Desk.
You can remove it using turpentine before the white paint dries up on the table. It will be easier to wipe off the paint before it takes a long time to dry up hard. Oil paint dry up slowly within a week.





Turpentine is one of the solvents that can remove oil paint that turpentine is made of petroleum, so there is another brand which is odourless one, and others such as acetone (fingernail polish remover), lamp oil or kerosene. They can be use with detergent to remove the paint.
I have the exact same problem. A white painted desk, with acrylic/charcoal/oil all over it? I just leave the paint on. It looks fun and artsy. Learn to love it! If it's a really nice desk, you can always paint and prime over it, I suppose.
go to homedepot they can sure help
Stripper is the only way to get the paint off. After stripping it then you have to sand (with the grain of the wood) and then you can stain it. Best to use a stain that has the varnish already in it as it keeps you from then having to varnish it after you are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment