Sunday, February 7, 2010

How to paint multiple small flowers in a realistic oil painting?

I have a pot of yellow dancing lady orchids with many tiny flowers on each branch.





They look difficult to paint compared to big simple flowers (daisies). Do you have advice for how to paint multiple small flowers?





Should I sketch each individual flower first, or just start painting as I draw?How to paint multiple small flowers in a realistic oil painting?
1. I know this is a hassle, but since you are striving for realism, and unless you have a very developed artist eye and hand, consider fully sketching out a single flower. Sketch it out in graphite or charcoal on paper until you are very comfortable with its form and shading. Then, also annoying, fully sketch out a single stem of flowers. Finally, sketch out the whole pot of flowers before transferring sketch to canvas. It was the way the old masters did it.





2. Having said that, if I was doing the painting, I would take a photograph of the pot, proportionately crop it to the canvas size, and add scale-up lines in Adobe Elements. I'd lightly charcoal in the lines on the canvas and scale up the photo and start painting. ...Leonardo didn't have a computer.





(Actually, I've done scale-up with flowers and was disappointed with the result, it lack a more intimate understanding of how the flower petals bent and how they were shaded. Next time I will spend the time and focus on No. 1 above, hassle or not.)





Dancing Lady Orchids are beautiful flowers. Good luck!How to paint multiple small flowers in a realistic oil painting?
the best way is to use the grid method.


just take a picture of the flowers, then grid them.


the next step is put the same amount of steps in the canvas ( remember not to press hard with your pencil when sketching )





if you want to see some of my drawings check my youtube channel


http://www.youtube.com/user/quinonezalfonso





and this is my webpage


http://www.quinonezartworks.com





also if you have more questions write me to


quinonezfineart@yahoo.com
  • prom hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment