Thursday, February 18, 2010

How long does a tube of oil paint last?

I just found my old art box in the attic which I have not touched it in 20 years. I was surprised to see that some of my markers are still working. As for the oil paints, most of them are barely used and they all are Windsor and Newton brands. So are the paint still useable or should I throw them away?How long does a tube of oil paint last?
if still creamy or mild creamy its still useable...you can always add tidge bit of linseed oil to cream it up a bit. I would just test them out on a palette sheet, just experiment with it.How long does a tube of oil paint last?
When i was 9,10 i did art classes and specifically oil painting. then i quit (art teacher moved away) and I'm 17 now still have the oil paint and it's still usable. just test it and see if it works. I'm sure it will.





Merry Christmas
Squeeze some out and if it is still soft and has oil in it you can use it. If it is hard and dry throw it away.
The chemical makeup of each paint is different, so some might be fine whereas others may not be. The only way to tell for certain is to open them and try them out. Being in an attic that long may have damaged them, though.





I got some of my Grandmother's oils after she died 18 years ago. I'll need to check them out. Most of those are 30 years old or more, and full of lead. I understand the newer ones have less lead or no lead. I may just keep the old ones for nostalgia's sake and use newer ones if I decide to start painting again.

No comments:

Post a Comment