Sunday, February 7, 2010

How many years does oil paint in a tube last efficiently before I have to throw it away?

I have found several oil paints in tubes from several years ago that have hardly been used. Do I have to throw them away or can I keep them for a little longer if I decide to start painting again? I don't know what the life expectancy of oil paints in a tube is before the paint starts to lose its quality. Does it have a life expectancy? Any ideas? Thanks.How many years does oil paint in a tube last efficiently before I have to throw it away?
Oil paint in tubes can last for many years (I have a tube of Viridian that is probably 40 years old and is still useable).


If the paint can be easily squeezed out of the tube it will be fine. There may be some slight separation of pigment and oil, but that's normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment