Sunday, February 7, 2010

Can you paint over an oil painting with glazing medium and no color?

I know glazing usually involves transparent/translucent layers, but I really just want to add a level of clear gloss in between layers of oil paint - not just on top like a varnish? Is there a technique for this? I want to make sure I don't damage the painting.Can you paint over an oil painting with glazing medium and no color?
I always use a glazing medium for all the paint layers. So to have a transparent layer between oil paints should not be any problem. But why?





I mix my own medium:





1 part Damar Varnish


1 part Lindseed Oil


4 parts Gum Turpentine





Mix the Damar Varnish with the Lindseed Oil. Once mixed add the Gum Turpentine.





Remember the 'fat' over 'lean' rule. Once you start using a glazing medium, you cannot add a paint layer without a similar amount of oil.





If you paint 'lean' over 'fat', the top layers of paint will crack as they dry.Can you paint over an oil painting with glazing medium and no color?
If you make sure all of the paint is dry, you can add a quick drying medium called, ';Liquen'; on top that is shiny and also a protective layer for your painting. I hope this info helps, Chris
I have done that when the paint is dry to give it a shiny effect.





so in one word: yes.
  • prom hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment