Thursday, February 18, 2010

To make small details on my oil painting, should I dip a pen or pencil into paint and then draw?

The brushes are too big, but I don't have any other ideas.To make small details on my oil painting, should I dip a pen or pencil into paint and then draw?
No I do not recommend pen or pencil dipped in paint. It will not hold any paint. Use the round brush no. 0, or no. 000 I think its the finest point you can get (it takes practice though). Or if you're trying to make darker details such as fine lines (for portraits) you can mark the area with pencil first then smudge it with dry brush technique (with a little linseed oil on the dry brush).To make small details on my oil painting, should I dip a pen or pencil into paint and then draw?
I'll agree with cutting brushes down. I frequently trim stuff to specific shapes.





You might try sticking the back of your brush in a pencil sharpener as well... sometimes scratching paint away to the underpainting is exactly what you're looking for and you can get fine details easily with a sharpened brush handle. {if you plan it ahead of time it can be exactly what you want.}
If you go to any decent art store, you can find brushes with finer tips than any pen I have ever seen. If you can't do that for whatever reason, I would find a piece of good mat board or card stock, then use an x-acto knife or razor blade to cut off a strip with a v-shaped tip. This will probably not last for more than one painting session, but it will not risk marking your painting with pen or pencil.
A fine tip EMPTY calligraphy pen would work great I did an apple tree that came out smallr than expected i used the calligraphy pen to make the apples. Great for daises too.
i don't see why not i think that would work
just trim down one of your cheaper paint brushes... take a knife and cut out all but four or five of the hairs. make sure it's a pretty stiff brush though. and also make sure the paint isn't too thin. the thicker it is the easier it will be to make the mark you're trying to make.
%26gt;%26gt; You can use a syringe (without the needle attached of course) I know someone who does this..They visit their GP to pick up syringes for this purpose (%26amp; tell them what the syringes are for of course) ~You can fill the syringe up with paint %26amp; squeeze the plunger as you go ~ It works relly well for fine detail.
Trimming the brushes is good.


Check out the art of Tiffany Hastie from British Columbia.


(Just search her name and you will find her).


She paints miniature pieces in very fine detail, by using 1 or 2 hairs of the paintbrush. Remarkable stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment