Thursday, February 18, 2010

Can I use fabric paint on dirty linen matting inside frame of oil painting?

I have a very large 5'X3' oil painting that I love, but the linen matting on the frame is soiled. I can't afford to reframe it and I am wondering if I can use fabric paint to paint over the dirty mat. The linen mat is about one inch wide inside of a 3 inch wide frame. The linen is a natural linen color..a dark off-white.Can I use fabric paint on dirty linen matting inside frame of oil painting?
Just for grins, look for a ';kneaded rubber eraser'; in the art supplies, or for a container of Absorene wallpaper cleaner or for a ';soot sponge'; at a janitorial supply store. Any of these may be useful in cleaning the mat, and none are expensive.


http://www.spongeproducers.com/products/鈥?/a>Can I use fabric paint on dirty linen matting inside frame of oil painting?
Reality check, you need to have the artwork reframed. There isn't a quick fix for something that you treasure. Wait until you can afford to have it done right before you play with it and ruin it.

No comments:

Post a Comment