Thursday, February 18, 2010

How could I clean the oil paint off of my brushes without using Turpentine?

Is there a way to clean my oil paint brushes without using turpentine? Thank youHow could I clean the oil paint off of my brushes without using Turpentine?
Wipe the excess paint onto a rag, dip the brushes in baby oil %26amp; work it into the bristles, wiping the brush til all the colour is gone. Do one last clean up with soap and water.





You can use Masters Brush Cleaner (a non-toxic soap found in Art Supplies Stores, or Saddle Soap) instead of baby oil - it works faster %26amp; better.How could I clean the oil paint off of my brushes without using Turpentine?
There are turpentine alternatives with out odor, or low odor like turpenoid. This is reusable, but has to be disposed of properly. Or you can use a rag to remove excess paint, and use oil, like linseed oil, to remove the rest of the paint. Then use Masters brush cleaner or any soap you'd use on your clothes, or even Murphy's to clean with water.
An alternative to turps suggested at my china painting class is a cleaning product called Zest-It, basically any cheap cleaning product for grease (the citrus based ones are the nicest smelling) will work but make sure you condition your brush well by gently working baby oil through it as the chemicals in these products will damage the fibres.






If you go to an art store you can buy a kind of soap. You can find this soap at Michael's, too. It usually costs around 2 dollars. You can also use baby oil to clean your brushes.
I use 'pink soap'


here's a place:


http://www.houstonart.com/pinksoap.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment