Sunday, February 21, 2010

What is the best brand artistic oil paint for oil painting, how much should they cost.?

what is the resonalbe good or best aritistic oil paint if I select only a few. I paint oil painting for hobby and want to do bit more. please advice.What is the best brand artistic oil paint for oil painting, how much should they cost.?
Golden only makes acrylic paints.





The best are the ones you like. There are some very expensive paints with gorgeous ranges and finely ground high quality pigments. Holbein is such a brand. I do large paintings but I use the cheaper paints to get my general painting and then do a top coat of some of the colors with the more expensive paint. There are some wonderful colors like violet grey, shell pink, a very light naples type yellow that are not available in the cheaper paint manufacturers. Don't invest in the expensive paints until you know what you are doing and feel confident painting. The cheap paint is plenty good enough to get you on your way. Good luck!What is the best brand artistic oil paint for oil painting, how much should they cost.?
Williamsburg makes high quality hand mixed paint.


I think its a little pricier than you will want to go for a hobby, but you may want to check it out. Can't hurt, right?
If you're looking for the best artists oils for a good price the brand would be Stevensons. I was stunned when I found out that it out performs Holbein,Grumbacher, and other quality oils for artists. I mean I was really stunned!


I've worked with oils since 1971 and I can't emphasise the surprise on learning this.


The gentleman who made this clear to both my friend and I (my friend is an artist as well) was an international figure in the business of restoration, and artists oils. I wish I could remember his name; but what I do remember was that he performed a blind test through a microscope with a number of brands of artist oils. He did this on stage in front of about three hundred students and alumni and you can bet our derision of this cheap paint was put in its place. With this man's evaluation our respect for the brand


Stevensons had rocketed upwards.


The brand I use for serious work would be ';Old Holland Classic Oilcolours'; it used to be called ';Sheveneingen';. The company is based in Holland and is over 300 years old. They stone grind their pigments in the best linseed oil,and do not put in any additives. When they mix a batch the paint is then brushed on to a large sheet of paper cut into strips of about 5/8th of an inch wide and wrapped around the hand packed tubes of oils that the mix it came from is in. What you see on this strip is exactly what is inside of the tube. You know exactly what you're getting.Pure pigment and linseed oil in that exact hue. The downside is... they are very expensive.


Hope this helps you.
Why bother with the higher priced stuff? It won't make for better paintings unless you are really using bad paint. If you are still leanring about painting, don't be concerned about creating mastepieces...worry about getting the color values and drawing correct.
Winsor %26amp; Newton. There is an artist quality and student quality. Student quality is not all that different from the artist. A small tube usually can cost 5-7 dollars and the larger tubes are 15 or so. Its usually better to buy larger tubes of black and white or a color that you might need a lot of. You also might want to try the water soluble oil colors. You can mix them with water so you save money on liquin.
Old Dog:





Where can I buy Stevensons paints (I am in Melbourne). I have tried ringing quite a few of the larger art shops and cannot find a stockist.





Thanks


Simone
GOLDEN is the best but pricey. The prices range from color to color. You could go check their website, i hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment