Sunday, February 7, 2010

How do I get oil paint off clothes?

I got oil paint on a pair of cotton pants, what's the best way to get it off or at least most of it off?How do I get oil paint off clothes?
Fight fire with fire.


You get the oils out of your clothing with oil. That is if it hasn't oxidized yet. If for instance I do get some of my oils on clothing that it isn't supposed to be on I take off the apparel and immediately spot clean it with linseed oil that has a low viscosity. When I am satisfied that I have the majority of it out then I use a more mild oil of even lower viscosity like WD 40 to remove the residual of linseed oil and pigment. After that, I wash the spot in detergent soap to rid the garment of the oil. Detergent soap is designed specifically to remove oils and grease from the dishes, so it works well in cleaning up the oil. Then I put the whole garment in the washer.


It is a long way of doing it but it works without damaging the material, and it is safe to use.


If the paint has already dried then I relegate the garment to the studio as a work shirt or jeans. It's easier to earn the thirty dollars to buy a new garment rather than spend a whole lot of my time cleaning cured paint off of my clothes.How do I get oil paint off clothes?
OOOO - not an easy task!!





Go to www.dickblick.com or your local arts and crafts store, and check out ';Master's Brush Cleaner and Preserver.'; I have tried this and it will dissolve dry oil paint. Also, Kiss Off (at same web site) is supposed to remove oil paint.





Good luck!
I dont think it could be removed completely, try your nearest dry cleaner.
Oven Cleaner. It gets it off without hurting the fabric =]

No comments:

Post a Comment