Thursday, February 18, 2010

In using a paint brush for acrylic painting and oil painting, is it generally bad to use it for both?

I bought mongoose hair brushes, which were expensive, and I don't want to ruin them. I bought them with the intention for oils, but I need to do an acrylic painting now.In using a paint brush for acrylic painting and oil painting, is it generally bad to use it for both?
I used brushes both for acrylic and oil painting, and had no problem. But you have to be careful to clean properly when you use the brush with oil painting that you generally clean it with turpentine or solvents derived from petroleum.


The reverse case is easier. When you use acrylics you clean the brush with water and I suppose that in your country must be some product specially made for this purpose (not here in Argentina)


As the brush cleans easily you can use it safely for oil painting.


Hair brushes are very expensive, being the best made by hairs from Marta Kolinsky(an animal not a trade mark).


I prefer bristles because are cheap and although don`t last much I can throw it away without regrets.


Happy painting!!!


Mauricio


maurituchi@yahoo.comIn using a paint brush for acrylic painting and oil painting, is it generally bad to use it for both?
I use cheap bristle brushes for oil painting, the stiffness is good with oil. I man made fibre brushes for acrylic. My expensive brushes I save for watercolour because it really makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment