Sunday, February 21, 2010

What is the best way to get oil paint stains out of your shirt?

im in the art departament and i spill oil paint all over my self like some sort of chrubled chiled.... what is the best way to get oil paint stains out of your shirt?What is the best way to get oil paint stains out of your shirt?
When I was a young boy growing up in Africa I suffered similar problems (I enjoyed painting on large rocks and in caves).





In my tribe we used human feces for a host of purposes due to our scarce environment. We used it for toothpaste, sunscreen, fire fuel, facial lotion, and as a detergent.





Get 1 and 1/2 cups of your own feces (solid preferably), mix them in water and a generic hand-soap, and soak your shirt! The paint stains will come right out! (You will have a stinky shirt though).What is the best way to get oil paint stains out of your shirt?
Don't wear anything you don't want to get oil paint on while you're painting... I have many outfits that have paint stains on them before I realized this.





If you catch it right when it happens, dry putting a little bit of turpentine on in and see if you can get it out and wash it later - otherwise get used to looking artsy!!!
You work in an Art Dept and don't toss on a cover-up?


Prevention logic aside-- your best bet (and this is no guarantee) when dealing wiht an oil/wax based stain is to pre-treat it with dish soap (liquid) directly, then wash it (alone). Again, no promises-- but dish soap is designed to ';cut greae'; adn works great on lipstick stains anyway! :) When I was in Art School, we just made it a point not to wear anything we didn't want ruined. :)
I sat in red oil paint with white cotton shorts once and my prof gave me ';Kiss-off'; it took me a while in the bathroom but I finally got it off (it was a tad bit pink...but pretty successful if you ask me!)...there was a lot so Kiss-off should work better for smaller stains. It looks like a glue stick and is meant to get lipstick out.
Either throw it out! (After using the same shirt for a thousand days) OR use mineral spirits...(hardware store) when the stains are fresh! SO NOT WASH THIS in a machine....use your hands and soap and water after the mineral spirits treatment! NO mechanical wash! The best idea is to use an over=sized shirt from the Thrift Shop!!! Oils are flammable like you can't believe! Good luck and paint Free!!!!!
You don't. They're there forever I'm afraid. No matter what anyone NEVER EVER use mineral spirits to get paint out, it can ignite in your washer or dryer, and it can burn your skin. Trust me, I'm well aware of what happens with paint stains :)
Klean Strip makes a product called Paint Clean-up. It's great stuff. I'm not an oil painter but I use 1-shot sign painters enamel. It's oil based, and Paint Clean-up works great on that. You can get a quart of it at Lowe's or Home Depot for about five bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment